Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sacrifices

I am learning this week about sacrifice. I thought I knew what it was, but I really didn't. As we are going through the process of adopting, I realize that there are many sacrifices that will have to be made. Lifestyle, freedom, sleep, time, travel, extra money--these are all sacrifices I have thought about, and am willing to make. One thing I did not expect to sacrifice was my job. I once had this situation all worked out. It would go like this: when we got the call that our time had come to adopt a baby, I was going to take a month off, and then come back to work only part-time. The baby would go to Mothers Day Out 2 or 3 days a week. My manager was in agreement and seemed to be fine with this idea. Today I found out differently. While SHE was fine with this situation, our DIRECTOR was not. She told me that if I were to only come back to work part-time, then they would have to post a position for a full-time therapist to replace me, thus leaving me without a job. I felt very betrayed. I have been there 5 years and have really been loyal to them, why couldn't they be loyal to me? I could not understand why they wouldn't allow me this one thing. Now that the shock has worn off, I'm left wondering why have to look for a new (part-time) job.

I have also learned (the hard way) that no matter how hard you plan, God may see it differently. You would think I would know this by now (hello...having a baby--did I not learn anything?), but I forgot it. I should know His plan is better than mine in the end, although it won't be easy getting there.

The last time I was forced to quit a job that I loved (I got laid off), it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm sure this will be too, even if I can't see it right now. But it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

O my gosh, Ali! But you're right, HIS plan WILL prevail. He's just that amazing. Call me if you wanna talk. We miss you!

Unknown said...

Not only will God provide, but you will love having endless hours to enjoy your long-awaited blessing. God has a way of only showing us the next step when it is time to take it. :) He is going to do mighty things!

Regina said...

First off, I love the new look! Now the important stuff: God is gonna rock your world, girl, I promise you that. He has these plans all laid out for you and knows every second of every step of the way. Rest in Him, sweet friend, He gonna take you places that you can't even imagine! :)